A “complex attack” on Thursday at the airport in Afghanistan’s capital caused a number of US and civilian casualties, the Pentagon said. A Taliban official said at least 13 people, including children, were killed in the explosion and that several others were wounded.
The city’s main Emergency Hospital said on Twitter that at least 60 injured people were transferred to their facility so far.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said there were “a number” of US and civilian casualties in the bombings, which came just hours after western officials said they had intelligence that suicide bombings were planned against the airport.
“We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of US & civilian casualties,” Kirby said in a tweeted statement.
“We can also confirm at least one other explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate,” he said.
The Baron Hotel, about 200 yards (meters) from the Abbey Gate, had been used by some western nations as a staging point for evacuations since the airlift began on August 14.
The US State Department said there were also reports of gunfire.
UK warns airlines to avoid flying below 25,000 feet over Afghanistan after attack
Britain has issued a notice to airlines to avoid flying below 25,000 feet (7,620 metres) over Afghanistan after an attack near Kabul airport.
“Following the shocking scenes in Afghanistan today, I have issued a NOTAM (Notice to Aviation) further advising airlines to avoid Afghan airspace under 25,000ft,” said Grant Shapps, the transport minister.
“We will continue to keep this under review.”
Abdullah Abdullah condemns airport attack
Chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation Dr Abdullah Abdullah has condemned the bombings outside Kabul airport calling it a “terrorist attack”.
“I strongly condemn the terrorist attack at Kabul Airport which killed and wounded a large number of the civilians,” he posted on Twitter.