The National Covid-19 Task Force chaired by the Prime Minister, Robinah Nabbanja has approved seven groups of people to receive the covid-19 cash relief.
These include saloon operators, people who load and offload cargo, taxi drivers, boda-boda cyclists and single mothers.
Others are the youth in slum areas and those who were initially dealing in petty businesses before the president declared the second lockdown that affected their daily incomes.
On Sunday last week, the Prime Minister, Robinah Nabbanja said the government will this time round not be distributing food relief but rather use mobile money to deliver cash to vulnerable people who are affected by the second lockdown.
The Prime Minister said they had ditched food distribution which was last year marred by corruption, and instead settled for cash and vouchers to the vulnerable.
“We have agreed to have a direct payment method and voucher system to provide assistance to the vulnerable people. We shall use mobile money,” Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanjja told journalists.
While announcing the government’s COVID-19 relief plan at the Office of the Prime Minister on Sunday, Nabbanja said this time government will not give out food packages.
Nabbanja noted that they will use National Identification and Registration Authority(NIRA) lists and local council chairmen to identify the eligible Ugandans for Covid relief.
The Minister for ICT and National Guidance Dr. Chris said last evening that the task force resolved to either send mobile money to the most vulnerable people or vouchers to those who do not have mobile money numbers.
He however said that the cash proposals of how much each vulnerable person will receive will be discussed and approved on Monday next week in Cabinet.
Baryomunsi said that the sub-committee comprising officials from the Department of Relief and Disaster Preparedness and Ministry of Gender should be able to present the list of beneficiaries on Monday in the cabinet to determine how much is needed.