• September 1, 2021
  • No Comment

Government approves UGX 21bn for reconstruction of Makerere’s ivory tower

Government approves UGX 21bn for reconstruction of Makerere’s ivory tower

The government has approved recommendations for the restoration of Makerere University’s main administration building which was razed by fire in September 2020.

Speaking to the press yesterday, Minister of ICT, Chris Baryomunsi, said the cabinet had resolved that the iconic building known as Ivory Tower be demolished and rebuilt.

Minster Baryomunsi further indicated that the cabinet had directed the Ministry of Finance to release Shs 21 billion to facilitate construction works.

“Cabinet decided that the Makerere main building be demolished and rebuilt. We have also directed the Minister of finance to release Shs 21 billion for the reconstruction of this main building.”

Makerere University Vice Chancellor, Prof.Barnabas Nawangwe thanked the government for approving the recommendations and said construction works would begin soon after reimbursement of the funds.

“I wish to thank H.E. President Kaguta Museveni and the Cabinet for approving the recommendations for the restoration of Makerere’s Main Administration Building. We will now embark on the reconstruction of the historic and iconic building.”

The fire that gutted the 79-year old building commonly known as Ivory Tower destroyed invaluable records and property worth millions of shillings.

It’s also worth remembering that weeks after the fire, the university announced it would start fundraising drives to raise Shs 15 billion to rebuild the iconic building.

Last year, Mastercard Foundation announced a contribution of $1 million (Shs3.7 billion) towards the reconstruction works.

The mystery fire according to a report compiled in February 2020, by the Criminal Investigations Department and the Ministry of Works, was due to an electric short circuit arising from a faulty electrical system.

Views: 0

Related post

Horny man on the ran after raping his 90-year-old mother

Horny man on the ran after raping his 90-year-old…

Kenyan police have launched a manhunt for a suspect identified as Patrick Mumo Ngenge, for raping his 90-year-old mother on October 20, 2021, in…
UCC suspends spark tv’s live wire gossip show with immediate effect

UCC suspends spark tv’s live wire gossip show with…

Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) has ordered Spark TV to immediately suspend its Live Wire programme after the station appeared to ignore the regulator’s…
Video: NUP’s Joyce Bagala spits fire after court nullifying her election in Mityana

Video: NUP’s Joyce Bagala spits fire after court nullifying…

Furious Joyce Bagala has spoken out about the court’s ruling that has nullified her victory as Mityana district woman representative following…
0 0 votes
Article Rating
ugbettips

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments