• July 7, 2021
  • No Comment

Government Suspends Covid-19 Relief Cash

Government Suspends Covid-19 Relief Cash

The Minister for Gender Betty Amongi says the government has postponed the disbursement of Covid relief cash to vulnerable groups.

Addressing press Tuesday at Uganda Media Centre, Amongi explained the delay in payment, stating that as of Tuesday; only 21,489 out of 501,000 names of beneficiaries had been received and uploaded onto the ministry’s system.

“We also had requests from Town Clerks across the municipalities, and town councils to extend for the time because they were overwhelmed with the processing of the data.”

There was also another additional legal issue of how to deal, and protect the biodata of the beneficiary between all the agencies.

According to Amongi, the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister, Robinah Nabbanja, is expected to launch the COVID Relief payment exercise on Thursday, 8th July 2021 at 10.00 am.

The government identified 16 vulnerable groups eligible to receive Shs100,000 Covid-19 relief cash, whose disbursement was expected to start yesterday.

The minister mentioned Gulu with 4191 beneficiaries and Kira Municipality with 1316 as the top districts that have already sent in the lists of beneficiaries.

She said KCCA officials assured them data is with them at town council and that 70% has been collected at the division level and would be able to send it to the ministry.

This Wednesday morning, Amongi expects 70% of the data from across the country to be uploaded.

On Thursday, July, 8, 2021, the function to launch the disbursement will be presided over by the Prime Minister at 10am.

The first beneficiaries will start receiving their money on Thursday at 10am.

Meanwhile, authorities at Uganda National Bureau of Statics (Ubos) cast shadow on the integrity of the data government wants to use to support more than 500,000 vulnerable families affected by the Covid-19 lockdown.

The executive director of Ubos, Dr Chris Mukiza, refused to vouch for the figures of the vulnerable people released by Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development on June 30 since he had not seen the circular on Covid-19 cash from Gender Permanent Secretary Aggrey Kibenge.

The Ubos chief told Daily Monitor that the only data they have as the principal data collecting, processing, analysing and dissemination agency, is from the list of people who received Covid-19 food relief last year.

Dr Mukiza warned that the data for last year’s lockdown had integrity issues and cannot, therefore, be used for this year’s purpose.

Views: 3

Related post

Massive offers: Speke Resort Munyonyo Unveils Halloween Accomodation Packages

Massive offers: Speke Resort Munyonyo Unveils Halloween Accomodation Packages

As the count, down for Halloween weekend draw closer, Speke Resort Munyonyo has unveiled discounted Halloween accommodation packages in a bid…
Sudhir Ruparelia tips Ugandans on real estate business at URA’s e-Bomba summit

Sudhir Ruparelia tips Ugandans on real estate business at…

City businessman Sudhir Ruparelia has advised Ugandans on the Do’s and Don’ts if they want to invest and succeed in the…
National rally champions: Rajiv Ruparelia wins Kabalega rally in Hoima

National rally champions: Rajiv Ruparelia wins Kabalega rally in…

Rajiv Ruparelia has shown off his racing skills at the National Rally Championship after securing a victory w at the Kabalega…
0 0 votes
Article Rating
ugbettips

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments