- November 2, 2021
- No Comment
How to identify suicide bombers- police explain amidst increased terror threats
Following the tragic incident of a suicide bombing on a SWIFT Safaris Bus, and the failed attempt of a suicide attack, in Pader District, Uganda police has cautioned the public about the possible terror attacks.
According to the Police, suicide bombers have unique characteristics which the public should always look out for,
This comes after two back-to-back bombings in the central region in which two people died and several others sustained serious injuries.
In his address, President Museveni recently asked police to sensitise the public on vigilance to prevent future terrorist attacks.
Police say they have taken lessons from countries like Israel, which have experienced hundreds of suicide attacks, and developed some guidelines and profiles that highlight the general characteristics of a suicide bomber.
Read Police full statement below
”Following the tragic incident of a suicide bombing on a SWIFT Safaris Bus, and the failed attempt of a suicide attack, in Pader District, we want to inform the public that the terrorist strategy of suicide attacks, against civilians is a very dangerous plot. And because suicide attacks or threats are a new phenomenon, it is important that members of the public are made aware of the characteristics of suicide bombers and the fact that they come from nearly every cultural background, ethnic or religious group.
We have therefore, taken lessons from countries like Israel, which have experienced hundreds of suicide attacks, and developed some guidelines and profiles that highlight the general characteristics of a suicide bomber. We strongly believe that once a person is armed with specific information about a suspicious person, who intends to detonate him or herself, he or she can easily prevent or thwart a terrorist attack and save lives.
These include the following;
– Suicide bombers participate in months of indoctrination.
– When ready for the mission, they are in a “hypnotic state” believing that the mission will open heaven for them.
– The majority of suicide bombers are not married, although a few have spouses and children.
– Most are male between 17-23 years of age, however, women and children have a potential of being recruited as well.
– The first known suicide bombing was by the Al-shabaab suicide bomber, in 2010. The second such attack was that of Matovu Isaac alias Muzafalu, which occurred on the Swift Safari Bus. We believe there are still more who have been radicalized into the ranks of suicide bombers.
General characteristics of suicide bombers. Certain behavioral characteristics of a suicide bomber have been identified and these include;
- The appearance of being nervous. They may seem pre-occupied or have a blank stare.
- Focused intent and vigilance. Such an acute focus may result in no response, to verbal or other contact.
- An awkward attempt to blend in. Behavior will seem odd or overtly out of place.
- Avoidance behaviors towards authority. If security is present, a suicide bomber will try to be inconspicuous.
- May be praying fervently to him or herself. This gives the appearance of talking and whispering to someone. Keep in mind that many people talk to themselves, thus this behavior in and of itself, has little meaning. Further either of these behaviors could be confused with speaking on a cellphone.
- Behavior may be consistent with that of a person without any future like giving away things of value, buying one-way ticket, or being unconcerned about receiving change for a purchase.
- Profuse sweating that is out of synch with weather conditions.
- Walking deliberately toward a specific target or object, often pushing the way through a crowd or armed barriers. This may show a high degree of focus or intent, especially if the target is in sight.
- Lack of mobility of the lower torso, may cause upper body stiffness. This is due to the bomb device that is strapped to the body. The increased use of backpacks may reduce or eliminate this element.
- In order to disguise the appearance, a beard may have been recently shaved or the hair cut short. There is a noticeable difference in the skin color of the recently shared area.
11.To smell better when going to paradise, the suicide bomber may use herbal or floral-scented water.
CP Fred Enanga
1st November 2021”