- August 30, 2021
- No Comment
Inside MOE, stakeholders meeting on schools reopening
Heads of schools in the country have asked the government to consider allowing learners and their families to make personal contributions towards the prevention of Covid19 once all education institutions are allowed to reopen.
Among others, the school heads are suggesting that learners should be required to report back with doses of the recently approved herbal relief treatment known as Covidex.
The call was made during virtual stakeholder meetings which was called by the Ministry of Education and Sports aimed at getting views from school operators about safe reopening.
The meeting attracted up to 500 members and representatives of the various unions and associations of learning institutions.
Among other strategies and measures to be considered before reopening include the following;
- Broaden stake holders, include other ministries ( multisectors) in ensuring schools reopen.e.g local gov’t, finance, security, internal affairs,propreitors to enforce
- Ensuring safe reopening of institutions through Localized phased reopening on district by district approach, based on covid prevalence rate.
- Adapt school calender to phased and staggered reopening of Academic year , 2021, having a Calender starting in September / October 21 to to June 2022 and national exams.
- Ensuring completion of academic year 2020 and progression of learners to the next level with relevant skills and knowledge acquisitions at each level and finalists left’s exams be done before June 2022.
7. Selections for s.1,s,5 to go on and learners to to schools of their choice on an individual basis and Strengthen continuity of learning for all learners who will not have a direct interface during phased reopening through,
8. Promote community-led learning approach for pre-school and lower school learners using village volunteers.
Require all learners in pre-primary and lower study from schools close to home.
. 9. Print additional home study materials as already in the due process and Strengthen radio and tv platforms to supplement home study material
10. Reviewing the school curriculum, Review the existing curricula by extracting content that is so essential and can be delivered through shortened calender and re- orient teachers to deliver abridged curricula, implement continuous assessments.
11. Strengthening covid 19 surveillance systems in schools, Sops must be keenly observed and school heads to be fully held accountable for implementing the sops and supervising all school activities.
12. Securing a health worker for a cluster of schools in an area to support schools manage covid out break and emergence cases.